It’s almost 2020! By now, your news feed has been permeated with quotes about how this year is YOUR year and your tears being the water for next year’s plants. We’ll have 2020 vision in 2020 and it’s a new decade! There are some resolutions that as your beauty adviser, I would love for you to make! These are easy and most of them you can do in your pajamas!
- Make a Beauty Budget – Over the course of the year, I had so many clients tell me they they couldn’t afford products they desperately needed, stay on top of their haircuts, or they had to use box color because doing their hair at the salon was just too expensive. Then they would want me to magically repair all the damage they did at home. If I could ask, beg even…please make a beauty budget! So many things add up and this is an important line item to consider when created financial goals. This year, we’re going to be talking about a lot of different beauty tips, and trust me, you’re going to want to try them all! So, lets consider some numbers here…
- If you stay on top of your haircuts, you shouldn’t go more than 12 weeks and that is only if you aren’t doing anything to cause damage (color, heat styling, swimming). At the minimum you’ll cut your hair every 3 months. My hair cuts are $60. That’s $240 per year.
- If you’re coloring your grey every 4-6 weeks you’ll have to add that in. I charge $100 for a root touch up and blow dry. That’s $1200 a year.
- It’s so important to use professional products and I cannot stress that enough. I mean if I could burn every grocery store product, I would and it would burn quickly because there are so many flammable ingredients in them. I HATE THEM! They destroy your hair. A good shampoo and conditioner can range from $15-$30 each but they last twice as long as your watered down grocery store garbage. You’ll actually save money and have better hair because of it. Most professional products can last 4-6 months if you don’t waste it so you’re only looking at about $120 per year and you’ll have way more beautiful hair!
- Now that we’ve thoroughly brushed out your hair expenses, lets talk makeup and skincare. Most of us want to look young and beautiful. On a recent poll, most of my followers wanted makeup tips. Good makeup can be expensive and you’ll also want to wash it off. If you check out my 7 products every woman needs…and assume that each item is around $15-$20, you’re looking at about $140 per year. Most makeup lasts about a year and I always like to buy my products either at the beginning of the year or my birthday so I know about when it’ll expire. Plus…treat yo self!
- I highly recommend getting a facial from a specialist you trust and using the products they recommend. My favorite in town are the ladies at Bumble Bee Waxing and more. Their facials are reasonable and the products they use have transformed my skin. To get a cleansing system and moisturizer you’re looking at around $100 every 6 months so $200 a year.When you add it all up you should budget about $60 a month if you’re not coloring your grey. $160 if you are. Some months you’ll spend more because you’ll need to buy products that month but then the following month, you won’t need to.
- Throw away expired products – If you look under your bathroom sink, in your cabinets, makeup bag, and shower you probably have an abundance of beauty products. If you look closely, there is a tiny little jar with something that says 6m, 12m or 18m. That is how long that product lasts without growing bacteria. Yes, I know, it’s gross to think about but products grow bacteria and their ingredients stop working after that little number. This is why I recommend buying your products around certain dates where you can remember. It also makes budgeting easier 😉
If you cannot remember when you bought your makeup…I bet you it’s expired. It’s time for something new!
- Prebook your appointments – Believe it or not, keeping regular hair appointments can cost you less in the long run. A fun fact is that for hair color, your body heat affects how your color processes. So when you wait too long and have more than 1/2 an inch of growth, I now need to make two formulas which can cost you more. Waiting too long to cut your hair won’t cost any extra money but it will cost you length if you’re trying to grow your hair. If you are pretty low maintenance with your hair (no coloring, heat styling less than once a month, no swimming), then you can go up to 3 months. However, if you highlight or color, heat style weekly or swim, you need to go more often. Book your appointments ahead of time to make sure you get the time you want and to avoid going too long.
- Detox your scalp – If you’re like me, washing your hair is so much work lol!!! I am a big fan of my dry shampoo and waiting way too long to wash my hair. My husband always calls me a chinchilla because I take a dust bath in my dry shampoo hahah not really…back to my point. Using products like dry shampoo, hair spray, wax, and cheap grocery store shampoo/conditioner can build up on your hair and scalp. Healthy hair starts at the scalp and it’s important to detox! I have a detoxing treatment that I do at the salon that clears out build up from your hair follicles, allowing them to grow healthy, have more volume, keep your scalp from being too oily or dry, treat dandruff and hair that falls out a lot. It’s a 20 minute treatment that comes with a hot towel and a scalp massage and only costs $20. Email me at email@example.com to book your service now!
- Wash your makeup off daily – Every beautician and Cosmo article will tell you how important it is to wash your makeup off at night but it’s so hard lol Personally, the hardest part is when my makeup looks so good, I don’t want to take off my masterpiece haha! The truth is, I want to have beautiful skin so I don’t HAVE to wear makeup. Not washing my face at night will cause wrinkles and I am trying to stay youthful. I always start with a makeup remover like a wipe or micellar water because even if I do nothing else, it’s a start. I like this one. By the time I see how much is on my cotton pad, I am definitely motivated to wash my face and do my nightly routine!
- Use protection – Wearing sunblock can not only prevent wrinkles but it guards your skin against cancer as well. Not only should you protect your skin, but your hair as well! Using a heat protector is so important before you use your blow drier, irons or head off to the beach. My favorite is the Phyto Keratine Spray because it repairs the hair while you heat style!
- Don’t do it yourself – The list of why you should never use box color is long. A quick explanation is these products are one size fits all which means they have extra pigment and a higher peroxide than most people need which makes them extra damaging and have a build up of pigment that makes coloring them in the salon very hard. Add that on top of most people pull that color to their ends every time they apply it to “refresh” and they are destroying their cuticle every 4-6 weeks. On top of dying your hair yourself, please don’t cut your hair yourself. Cutting hair requires training and skill and no, you won’t damage your hair necessarily but you can really mess up your shape which means fixing it will lose a lot of length and could be very unflattering. The emotional cost to doing your hair yourself is far more than the financial savings. Your hair really determines how you feel about yourself, so cutting corners can leave you feeling less than confident every day. It’s just not worth it.
- Keep it clean – Just like washing your face is so important, washing the things that touch your face is equally as vital! If you just use your brushes for yourself, washing them every 3-4 weeks should be fine. Wash your pillow cases at least once a week especially if you go a long time without washing your hair.
- Drink water – I could write a whole blog and maybe I will on nutrition for your beauty. If I could give you just one beauty tip it’s drink more water. Try challenging yourself to a gallon a day.
- Refer friends! If you love your hairdresser and beauty professional, make it a point to refer your friends. It’s the best compliment to us and you’ll do your friends a favor! Chances are they would love to have someone who makes them look as good as you 😉